What Am I Getting Myself Into
If I Travel With the Hensleys?
- A great bargain!!!!!!!! We operate as a ministry so folks can
see the awesomeness of God’s creation, hear the gospel,
be encouraged and challenged.
- The only requirement to travel with Blessed Byways
Tours is an interest in the locations and attractions
which will be visited. It should be noted that attractions,
tours, restaurants, time on the bus and activities are
planned with adults in mind unless the trip would be
a multi-generational trip.
- Blessed Byway travelers have come from all over the state of Iowa plus Minnesota, Wisconsin, Nebraska , Colorado, Kansas and even Canada. Pick ups are made along the route which will be traveled. Those not along the route will need to meet the bus at one of the pickup points. Arrangements are always made with the manager of each pickup point for permission for folks to leave their cars at that location. Some travelers prefer to have someone bring them to the pick up point and then pick them up when they return.
- Restroom stops are scheduled for every two hours.
- Special provisions are made for those with motion sickness, mobility problems, special dietary needs and other needs
if at all possible.
- You don’t have to drive or worry about anything. You are delivered and picked up right at the door (unless it is an event like the Gaither concerts when there are many coaches, then you might have to walk a little ways to where the bus is parked.) Seats, tables, etc. are all reserved. There is no standing in lines, no bills to pay, no one to tip. Everything is taken care of for you unless there is free time when you are on your own or there are multiple choices.
- Food!!!!!! Burdell says if you get on a bus with a skinny escort they’ll starve you. Blessed Byway travelers are safe!! You will be well nourished. At times pop, water and goodies are even provided for you.
- They have a ball on the bus. There are prizes to be won with activities such as Bug Splat Bingo, Auctions with play money, Reverse Drawings, Barnyard Bingo, Spring Fling, Bloomers, Stuff the Turkey, etc.
- Special step-on and tour guides give personalized tours just for Blessed Byways folks.
- Hotels used for overnight lodging include those with full breakfast buffets like Holiday Inn Express, Country Inn and Suites, Hampton, etc.
- As Blessed Byways escorts they believe variety and nice surprises are the spice of life.
- Folks have been treated to gourmet candlelight dinners complete with linens and china, served on an 1800s covered bridge which sets over Cataract Falls.
- After wandering around a residential area and ending up at a dead-end. A man and his dog came out to the bus and invited folks into his home for an amazing organ concert. Jack, a retired Air Force Colonel, has given concerts in Carnegie Hall, been on CBS Evening News and Good Morning America to name just a few. His organ is connected to sleigh bells, that ring at just the right time, animated duck decoys, toy animals that blow bubbles and perform, etc.
- On a mystery trip, arrangements were made for the sheriff’s department to pulled up behind the bus, come on board and arrest the folks . . .”to have a good time.” A humorous lawyer boarded the bus to give travelers counsel and question their sanity going on this trip when they had no idea where they were going.
- Travelers have been served a gourmet dinner and entertained on the shore of Lake Michigan as the sun set.
- Folks have witnessed a “pick-em-up truck’ truck come roaring up to the bus and two hillbillies tumbling out and throwing
stuff out of the back of the truck. Burdell’s hillbilly brief case (boxer shorts tacked to split tree branch) was packed with
all kinds of things.
- At sunrise, they’ve driven out into the hill country on the Wild Flower Loop through open range. The wild life was beginning to stir and the fields were a blaze with blooming blue bonnets and wild flowers. The bus ended up at Enchanted Rock (a great dome of pink granite) for a breakfast picnic of mouth watering German pastries, flavored coffees, juice, etc. which were enjoyed at tables spread with gingham table cloths and decorated with daisy centerpieces. When done eating, the hikers of the group climbed Enchanted Rock while the rest watched from the base.
- They have shown up as Santa and Mrs. Claus – once when looking for their reindeer who took off without us but we found them at Hardys’ Reindeer Ranch in Illinois and another time when Santa “Lost His Marbles” and folks found marbles hidden all along the way.
- They’ve taken folks to a “Decorated Outhouse Tour” where they cast their ballot for their favorite by dropping it down the hole of what else but an outhouse which was designated as the Head Quarters